What Happens to the Things in the Lost and Found?

As the second semester begins, Baldwin Upper School’s Lost and Found begins a new cycle

A few weeks before winter break, a table leaden with water bottles, sweatshirts, books, and kilts appeared in front of the Upper School office. Signs proclaimed that all unclaimed items would be donated after break. The Baldwin School Lost and Found was reaching the end of its first cycle. 

After break, the Lost and Found moved back to its usual location in room 113. While waiting for an interview in the office, a pencil case was brought and added to the shelf. This is a common occurrence. 

Upper School Dean of Students Madame Seliverstoff said “a lot” of items, possibly between “30 and 50 per semester” come to the lost and found. Despite this large number of items, Madame Seliverstoff and Mrs. Choitz estimate that only 20-30% of the items are claimed. 

Mrs. Choitz said that when an item comes to the lost and found, she first looks for a name or form of identification on the item. If there is, she contacts the owner. If not, it remains in the Lost and Found until it is claimed or donated at the end of the semester.

According to Coordinator of Civic Engagement Ms. Malloy, the site of donation depends on the item. Some of the charities for clothing are Cradles to Crayons, Our Closet, The Front Step, Methodist Services, One Bright Ray Community HS, and the Community Center in Camden.

Mrs. Choitz said, “Ms. Malloy even washes out the water bottles before she donates them. She washes the clothes as well.” 

After they were washed, the water bottles from last semester went to the COVID Unit for Unsheltered People in Trenton, NJ and Vince’s Place, an addiction treatment center, also in Trenton. 

Madame Seliverstoff said, “If the items are a part of the Baldwin uniform we keep them for the trunk so students can borrow kilts or shirts when they are out of uniform.” 

“We don’t have any system to ensure that people will not take items that do not belong to them, but students know if an item is theirs. As far as I know, students do not take anything that does not belong to them.”

At the end of this year, all unclaimed items will be donated to charity, and the cycle will begin again in the fall.