Senior Staff Farewell

Sophia Ran ‘23

For the past four years, The Hourglass has truly been an incredible and integral part of my Upper School experience here at Baldwin. As someone who had the privilege of being the media editor for two of those four years, I can attest to the fact that Hourglass has a really special way of connecting with the Baldwin community and bringing unity. Being able to be a part of the expansion of Hourglass‘ online presence, whether it be through the website or its social media platforms, has allowed me to understand the importance of ensuring that everyone’s voices are heard.

Maddie Davis ‘23

After taking Journalism freshman year, my first at Baldwin, I knew I wanted to join The Hourglass newspaper. I want to express my gratitude as a whole first to the other seniors, editors, writers, readers, and teachers who have helped provide me with positive exposure to further my writing skills at Baldwin. The Hourglass is truly one of the best ways to not only provide constructive criticism to the school but explore other interests through writing. By interviewing other students, I’ve made new friends and learned anecdotes from teachers I would probably never hear otherwise. It is a great bridge between outsiders, students, teachers, and administration. Thank you Hourglass! I will continue to read you for years to come…

Lydia Snyder ‘23

I only joined The Hourglass in 11th grade but it quickly became an important part of my high school experience. I came to love the enthusiasm that members of the school bring to this club. 

Since then, I still feel a rush of excitement anytime I notice stacks of papers around the school and have the chance to flip through the latest edition of writing and designs. Not only do classmates want to share their interesting perspectives, but students around the school discuss and imbibe the articles with curiosity. 

As a section editor, it has been fulfilling to help bring these perspectives to light. I always admire the creativity of each set of articles and love the chance to participate in finalizing these writings. 

No matter which path I decide to follow in college, my time with The Hourglass will stick with me and push me to continue helping shed light on others’ ideas.  

Carley Taylor ‘23

Hot Take: The Hourglass is great.

I submitted my first article to The Hourglass at the beginning of my sophomore year. I was stuck at home, arguing with my friend about why raincoats are better than umbrellas when she swindled me into taking our debate to print. I was shocked to see that my Google Doc was not covered in rejections, but instead kind comments from seniors I barely knew. 

Though now my phone storage will likely never recover from all the notes app pitches I write down to share on the occasional Thursday morning, I will always thank The Hourglass for giving me the freedom to share all my various takes. 

Makenna Walko ‘23

Contributing to The Hourglass has truly been a highlight of my time at Baldwin. From developing my voice as a staff writer to honing my editorial skills as a section editor and Editor-in-Chief, I’ve become a better student, journalist, and person thanks to The Hourglass. I’ve bonded with students across grades, pursued my passion for writing, and learned the importance of amplifying diverse voices. I know that no matter where life leads me, I will carry the lessons I’ve learned and friendships I’ve made through The Hourglass with me. I’m so grateful to have been a part of The Hourglass for four years, and I can’t wait to see how the paper continues to develop in years to come! 

Betti Pang ‘23

“Dear Reader,” although this was my first year writing for The Hourglass, I have loved it “All Too Well.” “Long story short,” being involved with these past issues has brought me so much “happiness,” and I have loved seeing everybody’s unique “Style,” whether through writing or designing. Describing the music I love has been so rewarding, and I hope I’ve been “the 1” to convince you to listen to the albums I’ve reviewed. I can’t believe “it’s time to go,” but I hope we can all “Begin Again” in college. Whatever’s to come, I hope we’re “…Ready for it?”

Grace Colucci ‘23

Hourglass, dear Hourglass, how I will miss you very dearly.

I will look back on you fondly, and regard you sincerely.

The articles I’ve edited and peer-reviewed and wrote

Will remain in my heart, on those I will dote.

Though I look to the future, excited for what it may bring,

I will miss the sweet editors-in-chief, and my artists who sing;

the munchkins and the early morning delight

of pitch meetings with ideas and minds so bright.

Yes dear Hourglass I will miss you, stand proud and smart and tall

And I will look back fondly, on the articles, drawings and all.

Ifunaya Obidike ‘23

I will never forget my time at The Hourglass. What once seemed like an intimidating space quickly transformed into a place that I never want to depart. The Hourglass has presented itself as a forum for me to express my activism in print. My whole goal for joining this club was to get people to listen to what I had to say. I believe I achieved this. I’ve used The Hourglass to get others informed about Black life in America and the injustices faced by Black people. I believe that at Baldwin, a predominantly white institution, such writings and conversations are vital among faculty and students. I hope that my writings will leave an everlasting impression on the school’s progression as a whole. 

Izzy Thompson ‘23

Out of every club I’ve had the pleasure of joining at Baldwin, I can confidently say that The Hourglass has been the most personally impactful. It has allowed me to practice and hone my writing skills, which has been invaluable for me as a student and person. It was a stress-free, fun way to share anything I deemed important or interesting (even the history of Coca-Cola) with my community. There aren’t many other ways you can do that, so to my dear Hourglass, thank you. I hope my contributions as an Editor-in-Chief made even a fraction of the positive impact on the publication as it did on me.