How Safe is Safe2Say?

An investigation of Pennsylvania’s anonymous reporting system

Design By: Cathy Wang

Design and graphics by Cathy Wang ’23

If only there was an app where students could anonymously report concerns about either themselves or others to create a safer school environment and potentially save lives… 

But there is! Safe2Say Something activated its website on January 19, 2019, and every school in Pennsylvania is now mandated to use it, including Baldwin. The network is meant to inspire students and faculty to report potential issues that could endanger the community, and student safety and confidentiality are the app’s highest priorities. So why does it seem like Baldwin students never use it? 

Based on a poll of 83 respondents which investigated Safe2Say usage in the Baldwin community, only 6% of the respondents have ever used the app. Over half the students who responded have no opinion on Safe2Say and say they feel completely neutral about it. Around 30% of respondents say they think highly of it, while only around 15% oppose the app.

Critical students said they fear the app “may be a catalyst for petty ‘snitching’” and “sharing information that could endanger a person more than help them,” and a better alternative would be “speaking to a trusted adult.”

However, Mrs. Reed, Director of Upper School, said, “From our perspective, when students have used Safe2Say, it has been critical and important.” 

Some students may have doubts about Safe2Say– but do we really know what happens after someone reports a potential issue?

Madame Seliverstoff, Dean of Students, and Mrs. Reed guided me through exactly what happens after a Baldwin student is reported on Safe2Say. According to them, there is a list of designated faculty and staff (including school counselors, nurses, the dean of students, etc.) who are connected to Safe2Say and receive email details regarding the student’s situation. Other than those people, the process is entirely confidential. 

Who takes action? According to Madame Seliverstoff, it depends. If the police feel there is less urgency and danger in a particular submission, Safe2Say asks Baldwin’s select faculty to take action. However, Baldwin must report back to the app after the school takes action. Both administrators assured me that when taking action, the faculty is respectful and supportive, ensuring students aren’t overwhelmed or uncomfortable.

If a post is more serious and requires immediate action, the police will call the school, obtain the student’s address, and manage the situation themselves. The student will most likely not be notified.

After my own doubts about the app, I found it deeply reassuring to know how gracefully our faculty deals with students in need of guidance or support. Based on my investigation of the safety of Safe2Say, I can safely say Safe2Say is safe (see what I did there?). 

Luckily, if you are a student who has reservations about the app, the new guidance counselor– Ms. Davis’– office is always open as an excellent alternative. With the Upper School’s theme of mental health this year, I hope every Baldwin student knows that they are not alone, and that there are many resources available to support them.