Introducing the New Head of School, Mrs. Macziewski

Her values, interests, and excitement for her new beginning at Baldwin.

Photography by Cathy Wang ‘23

Baldwin’s newest Head of School: Mrs. Macziewski.

21 years is a long time to devote to a single pursuit– but that’s how many years Mrs. Lynne Macziewski, Baldwin’s incoming Head of School, has dedicated to education. 

Mrs. Macziewksi (“pronounced Ma-chess-ski”) got her start as a middle school science teacher at The Blake School in Minneapolis, Minnesota, where she eventually became Assistant Middle School Director. She then moved to Chattanooga, Tennessee to work at Girls Preparatory School, first as Head of Middle School and later as Associate Head of School. 

Through it all, engaging with students has been her passion. When asked what she enjoys most about working in education, Mrs. Macziewksi said without hesitation, “The people.” 

I would prefer to sit around a table with kids than adults,” she laughed. “Don’t tell the teachers,” she says with a wink. 

With such an extensive background in the classroom, Mrs. Macziewski brings valuable insights about the value of all-girls education. She said, “Being in an all-girls school really gives girls the opportunity to know that you have a seat at the table. . . You look at girls who graduate from all-girls schools– they have much higher chances of going into areas that have traditionally been male dominated. And to me, that all focuses back on building that confidence, helping girls find their passion.” 

To Mrs. Macziewski, another powerful aspect of all-girls education is the sisterhood. She said, “Girls really support each other, they build each other up. When I talked to girls today and  asked them what they love about Baldwin, every single kid said something about community and friendship.” 

Besides being all-girls, there were a few key factors that drew Mrs. Macziewski to Baldwin. “One is the commitment to academics, but also the commitment to the whole girl and really thinking about who each girl is… Who do you want to be and how can the school help you achieve that?

When asked what she’s most excited to experience at Baldwin, Mrs. Macziewski said, “A couple of years down the road, seeing girls who I met when they were in Lower or Middle School, transitioning into the next phase. . . all of a sudden [they’re] walking across the stage and [they’re] in college.”

She’s also excited to experience Baldwin traditions like Ring Day and Banner Day and get involved in student life. 

Of course, a big question on students’ minds is whether this change in leadership will bring changes to the community. When asked if she has alterations in mind, Mrs. Macziewski said, “Part of my philosophy as a leader is to come in and listen and learn and ask a lot of questions… In general, I do not like to make sweeping changes unless I have the whole story and understand all the history and the background and different perspectives.”

She emphasized how much she values community opinions, saying, “It’s your school. You are the girls here, and you will be the alumnae. So I am really looking forward to getting to know Baldwin, all the people and all the students, and then working together to think about what the future of Baldwin looks like. Working together as a team. . . that is how you make a school sustainable in the long run.”

When asked what the community can do to ease her transition, Mrs. Macziewksi encouraged students to stop by her office frequently. She said, “Share your stories… I know my door won’t physically always be open, but I have an open door policy.”

Overall, Mrs. Macziewski is looking forward to collaborating with students, faculty, and parents to build a future that balances and values the diverse needs of the community. She concluded: “New adventure, new people, new future.”