Will Zoom Classes Replace Snow Days?

As winter storms continue to rage, what is the future for traditional class-free snow days?

As Baldwin students eagerly anticipate the first snow day of 2022, many wonder if virtual classes would be held during snow days. Upper School Director Mrs. Reed said that for Baldwin, traditional class-free snow days are here to stay—with exceptions. 

While Baldwin students were still enjoying the comfort of a three-week-long winter break, Philadelphia public schools announced that due to a heavy forecast for snow on Friday, Jan. 7, students would not be going into school, according to NBC Philadelphia. However, this snow day was not the traditional “day off” that many expected. 

The school district said, “Students will be expected to log on for a full day of virtual learning and instruction led by their teachers…there will not be a need to issue a ‘snow day’ and cancel classes on Friday.”

Baldwin will not follow suit, at least at first. Mrs. Reed said, “When we have a snow day, it will likely be a typical, old fashioned snow day with no school. Our hope is that we aren’t going to have any Zoom.” 

However, an excess number of snow days could lead to a virtual snow day. Mrs. Reed said, “By Pennsylvania law, we’re required to have a certain number of days of school. If we reach a point where we’re getting close for any reason, I think at that point then we would call a Zoom day.”

This is happy news for many members of the Baldwin community, both teachers and students. 

Erin Mallon ‘22 said, “I hope that we get snow days with no virtual school option…I love going sledding with my sister.” 

Similarly, Madame Seliverstoff said, “I love snow days…I don’t like the virtual classes.”

Indeera Pujar ‘22 said, “There’s something nostalgic about being able to have a day off.”