Baldwin Recommends KN95 Masks As Omicron Cases Soar

The new COVID-19 variant has caused a change in mask recommendations.

The standard medical mask of March 2020, a cloth mask of September 2020, and the KN95 mask of January 2022

Due to the rise of COVID-19 cases from the highly transmissible Omicron variant, Baldwin recently recommended that all students wear KN95 masks to help stop the spread of COVID on campus. 

According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), KN95 masks offer “even more protection” than cloth masks. These masks are called “KN95” because the mask filters out 95% of the virus particles that cause COVID-19. 

Upper School Director Mrs. Reed said, “Omicron was quickly spreading, preliminary information was coming out from the health department and the CDC about the ineffectiveness of cloth masks, and the increased effectiveness of the KN95 masks.” 

In light of the new information, the Baldwin administration met over winter vacation in order to make the recommendation before returning to school.

Madame Seliverstoff said, “In the time of COVID, we need to make the rules based on research… If it helps to keep the school open, this is our top priority.”

In addition to recommending KN95 masks, Baldwin is still enforcing general mask-wearing and giving infractions to those who wear masks incorrectly. Madame Seliverstoff said, “Since the time is crucial, a first offense [merits a] warning, second offense, [a] detention.” 

Both Madame Seliverstoff and Mrs. Reed indicated that KN95 masks will be provided upon a first offense, or to any students in need. 

When discussing whether a KN95 mandate would take effect at Baldwin, Mrs. Reed said that it was not likely, and expressed hope that Omicron cases will continue to drop in the coming weeks. 

Amy Erskine ‘22 said, “I’m not particularly bothered by having to wear [KN95s] to school every day, so it wouldn’t bother me if schools mandated them.” 

Skylar Ortiz ‘22 said, “I don’t believe that KN-95 masks should be mandated in schools unless the schools provided them for free. These masks are not an affordable option for every family.” 

As the pandemic progres, Baldwin will continue to make necessary changes according to rising cases. Looking forward, it remains important that students and teachers alike continue to adhere to the guidelines put in place to decrease the transmission of COVID at Baldwin.