Humans of Baldwin: Baldwin Then and Now with a True Baldwin Lifer

Ms. Ameisen ’76 discusses her experiences as a past student and a current teacher.

Image courtesy of Lisa Evans '23

Ms. Ameisen in her classroom.

From a Baldwin student, to an alum, to a Baldwin teacher, Ms. Ameisen knows this school like no other. She began her Baldwin journey in seventh grade and graduated with the class of ‘76. After earning her undergraduate and master’s degrees at Bryn Mawr College, she returned to Baldwin as a teacher while working towards her PhD in anthropology. 

Currently, she teaches Psychology (with an AT option), in addition to teaching the entire sixth grade a social studies course on cultural anthropology. She is also an advisor for the class of ‘23. 

Ms. Ameisen provided insights into the school as an experienced member of our community.

What was your experience like as a Baldwin student?

I loved being a student at Baldwin from the moment I got here. Previously I went to a local public school and it was a lovely school, but it didn’t have as many academic or extracurricular opportunities. I loved Baldwin’s theater program. I was in as many plays as I could be and took four years of theater. I also played sports, [and] was in one million clubs. I took advantage of every opportunity and just loved all of the ways that I could learn.

What are similarities between your experience as a Baldwin student and the experiences of Baldwin students today?

One main similarity is the level of quality of education. With Baldwin’s traditional liberal arts curriculum, you get exposed to everything in high school. It’s really important that that happens before you start to specialize, and I think that is something that persists since I was here. 

Today, it’s part of why I love teaching here. Baldwin allows me to teach curricula that are challenging and not just textbook-driven. We’re not following a curriculum set up by somebody else. We, as teachers, decide what’s important to be taught in what order and how you are assessed and all that kind of stuff. It makes for a richer learning experience.

What are some changes you’ve noticed about Baldwin since you were a student here?

There are more athletic opportunities and different kinds of clubs. The student body and faculty are more diverse than when I was a student. To me, those are all important differences that have benefited Baldwin. When I think of differences I don’t always think of it as a negative thing. Sure, there have been superficial changes like in the buildings, but the essence of what it means to go to Baldwin and to have a Baldwin experience is the thing that the adults in the community have worked very hard to maintain consistency with throughout the years.

As someone who has gone through Baldwin, do you have any advice for current students?

My advice is to figure out how to manage and balance your work life with your extracurricular life with your outside life so that you don’t always have a sense of being behind or not being in control of it. I always considered it a great gift Baldwin gave me when I got to college, since I was so much better prepared than virtually all of my peers. I had written papers and done really substantive research, but also I wasn’t thrown by managing a lot of work. I am trying really hard with the sixth graders to give them a sense of responsibility and help them feel the power when they have control over their own lives, rather than being dependent on adults to tell them what to do all the time.