Humans of Baldwin: Music and Math: A Beautiful Combination

Mr. Campbell encourages students to be creative and grapple with mathematical challenges through music.

Image courtesy of Sasha Deringer ‘23

Mr. Campbell and some of his students.

When you think of a high school math class, you often think of tests, quizzes, and complicated problems. However, students that step into Mr. Harvey Campbell’s math class learn that math can be about so much more.

Mr. Campbell is a math teacher at The Baldwin School who has taught Discrete Mathematics, Calculus II, Algebra II, and more. His students learn a variety of topics in his classes, ranging from L’Hôpital’s Rule to permutations. 

However, you might find that many of Mr. Campbell’s students say the most memorable part of his class was making math-related music videos to teach their classmates math tips, tricks, and new topics. I was able to talk with Mr. Campbell to learn more about the reasoning behind his math music video project and why he chooses this method to share the joy of math with his students. 

When did you first discover math music videos online? When did you first start showing these math music videos to your students, and why?

I discovered these videos around 2014-2015 and I started showing them because I saw the genius in them. They make topics that are otherwise not enjoyable fun and they connect them to the students’ favorite songs. When you listen back on some of the songs that you love after watching these videos, you start saying the words to the math music video. We’re tricking you into learning math using something you love: music.

How has watching math music videos influenced your teaching?

When I watch these videos, sometimes I have to slow them down and watch them twice because I learn tricks, even things that I’ve never thought about. I’m like, “Wow, these educators really put a lot of work into these videos.” If I can learn something, then I can slow it down so my students can learn something.

Why do you think it is important for students to be given unique types of assignments in math class? How do you think these assignments impact your students?

I hope that my students think these are fun. I mean, we can do the traditional book, notes, or worksheets, but when you get to make your own video, you don’t even know where your mind is going to take you until you start doing it. You lose yourself in the project. When I made a video, that’s what happened. I was like, “This is crazy, what am I doing?” And hopefully my students feel that.

You teach your students so much in the classroom everyday, but have your students ever been able to teach you through the math music videos they have made in your class?

Absolutely. I knew that the girls were so talented artistically, but now they are really impressing me with their writing. The way they are writing, rapping, singing, and they are teaching a topic, it’s just amazing. I watch their videos and I’m like, ‘Oh wow, I don’t know if I would have done that, but this really works.’ They have clever minds. True thinking girls can teach me how to think better.

If you could create a math music video on any topic, what would it be? What is your favorite math topic?

I don’t know if I have a favorite math topic. For fun, I’m just going to choose one. I really like logarithms, but there’s a lot of topics. Just being able to turn something that looks kind of mundane and make it come alive with dancing and singing – that’s why we do this. It’s just fun.