Mamma Mia, Here We Go Again

The Baldwin Theater Department returns with a new director, a new musical, and a new level of energy

Theater+teacher+Ms.+Marlowe+looks+to+her+vision+board+as+inspiration+for+the+upcoming+year.+

Photography by Lyla Mason '26

Theater teacher Ms. Marlowe looks to her vision board as inspiration for the upcoming year.

If the chorus of “Dancing Queen” has been stuck in your head on a loop and you’re counting down the days until you can get your hands on tickets to the Baldwin theater department’s upcoming performance of Mamma Mia!, you’re not alone. The school is abuzz with excitement about the approaching show, a popular jukebox musical that many students already know and love.

However, students may be less familiar with the new theater teacher behind this fun production: Ms. Marlowe. After many years of experience at other schools, Ms. Marlowe joined the Baldwin theater department early in the 2022-2023 school year.

Already, Ms. Marlowe has big plans for theater at Baldwin. Discussing her goals for the department, she said, “My hope for this year is to provide a really positive experience through a fun style of production, to bring audience members back into the theater, to gather into community, to witness really fun storytelling and acting and dancing, but also to provide a backstage and rehearsal experience that is positive and fun.”

Ms. Marlowe said she’s a “a process over product person,” saying “I want the rehearsal process to reflect what we want the production to be, so if the process isn’t fun and doesn’t have the ability to dig deep and stretch and grow, then I think the production will really reflect that.”

Although students have faced significant challenges in recent years, COVID being the primary obstacle, Ms. Marlowe is optimistic about the year ahead. She said, “What I know so far is that we have a group of incredibly enthusiastic students who are ready to bust out of the last two years of crazy pandemic and go for the big show, and it seems like that enthusiasm is backed up by a lot of work ethic so far.” 

Baldwin’s theater department is unique in that it is a largely student-led program. Maskers, the theater club at Baldwin, facilitates a huge part of the theater department’s operation and success. 

Julie Brose ‘23, one of the Maskers heads, highlighted how the club, and the department as a whole, has changed over time, saying, “I think there’s a lot more resiliency within, because it used to be that we’d just complain about the things that weren’t right, and with all the turnover we’ve realized it’s really up to us to sculpt the theater department we want. The biggest difference is just the people.”

Chloe Watson ‘24, another Maskers head, said, “A student-led program can sometimes be a struggle, but I think it gives students the opportunity to step up in ways they may not be able to at other schools. Techies, actors, dancers, and many other talented individuals are able to step into roles of leadership and help produce a performance of their own. So much goes into running the theater club at Baldwin and it’s taught me so much.”

Rachel Gopalani ‘23, the third Maskers head, spoke about her goals for the department this year and in the future. She said, “This year, my main goal is that we encourage a more widely known and accepted view of the theater department. I think the addition of Ms. Marlowe this year will be great too– I’ve heard great things about her and I’m excited to keep working with her. I think when we have that kind of strong leadership, that’s going to be a lovely addition, because when students see that in such an underrepresented department they’re going to take it more seriously.”

As rehearsals for Mamma Mia! begin, Maskers heads say that the energy for the show is already high. Reflection, experience, and careful planning from student leaders and Ms. Marlowe are elevating the Baldwin theater department to a new level this year. Excitement for participating in theater is unmistakably present, with much to look forward to this year.