Quote Compilation: “Reinventing” the Upper School

Where is the Upper School headed as a division post-COVID?

It’s our first school year since 2020 that feels almost like Baldwin has returned back to normal, or at least a new normal. In a time where none of the Upper School student-body has experienced a full year in the Baldwin Upper School pre-COVID, Mrs. Reed is compelling the student body to “reinvent” the Upper School as what we want it to be. 

Gathered below are student anecdotes regarding this opportunity: Aspects of the Upper School we want (or don’t want) to bring back and new qualities we want to add. One common theme? Community building. 

I think it’s really exciting that this year all COVID restrictions have been taken off and all grades in the upper school are able to experience the most out of their year here. I’m really excited to be a part of the fun and excitement that this year will bring.”

– Sophia Ran ’23

“In my version of the ‘new’ high school, I really want people to focus on having interconnectedness within the grades. The fall of my freshman year, before COVID, I could talk with seniors without feeling nervous. As a senior, though, I don’t see that now and want to see it again, even to a higher level where everyone feels comfortable speaking during meetings, sports practices, and more.” 

– Yemale Febres ’23

“I want the highschool experience to expose me to a variety of people and communities so that I will have great role models and the opportunity to reach all my capabilities.”

– Jennifer Ma ’25

“I want to see more community building: to see us all coming together as a grade. We are already really close but I want to see us all pull through our Upper School years together.” 

– Bella Gillis ’24

“One thing I really want back is Family Gathering. Those were so fun: it was awesome to have the entire school all together in little groups. I got to see the Lower School kids (I never see them ever, now), and especially for Middle Schoolers, it’s just great because you can give them advice as an Upper Schooler. We did fun activities and all came together. You can also have a ‘little sister’ as an Upper Schooler. Honestly, those were some of the best moments I can remember.” 

– Aida Haile ’23

“One downside of COVID was how each class felt more separated. I would really love to see little things and changes: more tables put together, more collaborative environments. COVID created a divider between students because of the required distance and obstacles it made: we need to take that divider away and come together as a community. It will take some adjusting, but we’ll all be better because of it in the future.” 

– Caroline Parillo ’24

“We always say we want to advocate for mental health, but we need to continue to find more ways to intersect that advocacy with the difficulties that come with being a Baldwin Student. As an example, in 8th period Anatomy and Physiology with Ms. Calnan, we went outside for the first ten minutes of class for meditation and mediation – that was really helpful having come from almost a full day of 70 minute classes. It was a great way to refresh our brains in order to have a productive class, and I think things like that should be seen as necessary to our education.”

– Lauren Brown ’23

“The theme of this year is mental health: Can we as a student body advocate for mental health days? I’d love to see that become more normalized and built into Baldwin, particularly in the Upper School.” 

– Eesha Sharma ’24

“I’m a fan of the no homework days and I think we should have more of those weekends, or continue that in the future.”

– Eliza Bryant ’24

“In general, making reforms to the cafeteria since we’re no longer distanced: bringing back old foods/drinks, maybe providing more space for students to sit. I’d love the cafeteria to bring back the frozen yogurt machine, too.” 

– Hafsa Kanchwala ’25