The Hourglass

Make Baldwin Greener

image_pdfimage_print

Originally featured in the March 2018 Edition

The oceans are going to run out of fish by 2050 (weather.com). The world is going to run out of natural gas and oil around that same time. Global temperatures continue to increase, biodiversity continues to decline, oceans continue to rise, and the world gradually seems as though it is coming to an end. The Hourglass Editorial Board therefore believes the Baldwin School has an obligation to make a contribution to the seemingly endless stream of catastrophes.

Provide more vegetarian and vegan meals in the cafeteria. The world agriculture industry alone contributes 14.5-18% of greenhouse gases to the atmosphere (nytimes.com). From the methane produced by mass-bred livestock to the deforestation in the Amazon, the consumption of meat is certainly a contributor to climate change. Instead, a plant-based diet will have a better impact on our world and our health.

Cease the use of unnecessary plastic like cutlery and straws in the cafeteria and water bottles in the cafeteria and bookstore (reusable materials are better for our health than plastic anyway).

Encourage teachers to refrain from printing. Baldwin has a one-to-one program, but we still print frequently. Instead of printing a syllabus, post it on Powerschool.

Provide clear and consistent methods of recycling. Often, recyclable products at Baldwin are thrown in the trash because recycling bins are not available (like in the cafeteria), or students recycle items that cannot be recycled because the signage is not clear. By implementing an easy-to-use system, we can all make that choice every day to side with the sustainable option.

Turn the lights off. Lights are often left on in classrooms and bathrooms when the rooms aren’t occupied, and the Athletic Center is lit all day. The amount of energy this wastes also wastes money. Imagine how the school’s electric bill would change if we installed motion-sensored LEDs.

If Baldwin could implement any of these practices, the community would be well on its way to embracing an environmentally-friendly ideology and adjusting the way its community members perceive their impacts on the world.
We encourage the Baldwin administration to impose these policies to reduce our carbon footprint, our pollution, and our impact on the future of this planet. We are all guests here, after all.