Leading the Way

Grace Steelman '18, Guest Writer

image_pdfimage_print

Originally featured in the March 2018 Edition

In the past year, the Baldwin Lamplighter Program has taken a step back to re-evaluate and make adjustments. Through the keen awareness of the faculty advisors and student heads, lamplighters will not look the same moving forward.
The Lamplighter Program allows students to demonstrate their enthusiasm for Baldwin by providing campus tours and information sessions to prospective families and faculty. The student liaisons represent the academic, athletic, and socially engaged character of the student body. They share their perspectives and personal experiences with visiting families deciding which school is the best fit for them.
“This year my theme for the program has been The Baldwin Lamplighters: Igniting a Fire that won’t burn out,” said Ms. Beatty, the new head of lamplighters and the manager of enrollment events and student visit experience. “Flames are powerful agents that can illuminate our paths and also produce life. This power already existed in the organization name, and I wanted to bring it through every part of Lamplighters. I am so energized by this program and the direction that it is going in; it is a wonderful representation of the school,” Ms. Beatty added.
Changes in the past year have created a new spark in the historic Lamplighter Program. Ms. Beatty and Mrs. Bunting, together with the student heads, Cassandra Stecker ‘18 and Sara Syed ‘18, have unified the club’s efforts with a clear vision.
They streamlined the process of training, tours, open houses, and student visits. The program improved its student tour guide training with the goal that all Lamplighters, regardless of when they entered Baldwin, can speak confidently and coherently about any aspect of the School. The Lamplighter Program provided regulated practice tours and mentoring opportunities to instill this comfort in the tour guides.
Looking forward to next year, the Lamplighter Program will continue to build on this year’s momentum. Upcoming changes include virtual lamplighter tours on the Baldwin website and lamplighter biographical information cards available to visitors prior to their visit.
“I’m really excited for the future of Lamplighters as I think it has a totally revived energy,” said Stecker ‘18.
The improvements to the Lamplighter Program allow the student Lamplighters to better communicate the unique and empowering qualities of a Baldwin girl.