Baldwin Needs a Pop of Color

Naturally occurring shades are so last week.

When I was younger, my biggest dream for my teenage years was to adopt the pink hair color of my idol: Princess Bubblegum from “Adventure Time.” As I got older, that pink dream turned blue, and then purple. However, when I came to Baldwin, my dream of being a teenager with awesome hair was shattered. 

To this day, I still use my Pinterest board of unnatural hair colors that I have not been able to wear. I don’t think my dreams of hot pink hair should have to wait until my college career, or only last for a few short months during summer break. Instead, I believe it’s time for an update in our dress code that would allow unnatural hair colors. 

Currently, the Upper School handbook states that “hair colors must be naturally occurring shades.” Madame Seliverstoff, the Upper School Dean of Students, said that she was unsure about when or why the rule was put into place. However, she believes it’s important that the school remains a serious place where serious work is done, making professional attire—including hair color—important for upholding that standard. 

At first glance, unnatural hair colors may seem unprofessional. However, hair dye is extremely common throughout the world. According to All Things Hair, 75% percent of American women dye their hair. Though most of these shades are “naturally occurring,” many sport bold hues and bright colors.

Additionally, allowing more bright hair colors into the Baldwin atmosphere could brighten people’s days. More colorful spaces have been shown to benefit mental health, and what better way to bring color to the school than on students’ heads? 

Permitting colored hair opens new possibilities for students’ self-expression, allowing them to show a new side of their personalities at school. It’s time we introduce a pop of color to Baldwin by allowing students to dye their hair unnatural shades.